Descendants of Cecil John Doyle

Generation No. 1

1. CECIL JOHN4 DOYLE (OWEN PATRICK3, JOHN JOSEPH2, PATRICK1) was born August 10, 1920 in Sodus Township, Lyon County, Minnesota, and died November 08, 1943 in Solomon Islands, Guadalcanal Area, South Pacific.

1941, July 26 Letterhead of State Teachers College, Mankato, MN 
Postmarked - July 27, 1941 Jacksonville, Fla.
Return Address: Cec Doyle
Naval Air Station
Barracks 720, Room 109
Jacksonville, Florida

Dear Folks,
I received your letter last night, it sure takes a long time for mail to get to you. I didn't get any money yet. I imagine we will get paid pretty soon. But I don't know when I will get the $50 for traveling they have to send in to Washington and it takes about a month. They tell me it is a rainy season here and I believe them because it has rained some every day for the last 45 days. We just looked around a little in Chicago, we only had two hours which went in a hurry.
It sure is nice to have a catholic church right at the base. They hear confessions every Sunday morning and have two masses. They also have mass on Friday morning and all catholics get excused from regular duty to go to church. They are training only English fellows to fly at Pensacola so I either will stay here at Jacksonville or sent to Corpus Christi, Texas. I guess it doesn't make much difference they are both good places, but I would get to see more country if I went to Texas. They are putting a big dance on in town for the cadets, so I think I'll go to that. And tomorrow I think I will go to the beach which is about 15 miles from here and get a good look at the Atlantic Ocean.
I suppose Dick will be home tonight or tomorrow. Bernard & Dick both have their vacations don't they? I am sorry I couldn't get that $10 & $50 back that I owe, I thought sure they would pay us as soon as we got here.
It rained so hard today that on the level cement runaways around the airport the water was above or level with are high shoes. But they have fellows watching the storms and have all the planes down before they start.
Your son,


Dear Folks,
We have tomorrow off, so I guess I can do navigation then. Friday is the last day that I have navigation, I have two weeks of aerology and then I will be through my ground school. I checked out of formation today and got an "up". The checks come around so often that it keeps me pretty busy. By checks I don't mean money.
Cadets graduate every two weeks now, and a new class comes in on the first & fifteenth. Therefore we don't have the big parade & ceremonies that we did when the first class graduated. But if I get the WINGS I'll be satisfied.
We still don't know how much time we will have off for Christmas, if any. I wish they would let us know pretty soon.
Weir got an "up" today, which was very lucky for him. He was on his last chance. Our class sure is diminishing, a lot of the fellows claim they are going to Canada & join the R.A.F. Not me if the Navy doesn't think I can fly it is good enough for me. I mean the fellows that "wash out" are the ones that join the British R.A.F. Some of the fellows are getting kicked out on account of Ground School.
Say what was the score of the Marshall-Tracy football game. Cole sure has quite a record there.
Can you imagine me sweating and sleeping with the windows wide open and no blankets.

Your son,


Dear Folks,
Yesterday we had our big graduation exercises. Boy I would three times as soon graduate from here than I would from any college. The exercises were held outside along the edge of the gulf. It was a beautiful day the sky was clear and the temperature was just right. The weather now around here is ideal. There were thousands of people from all over United States to watch us. The whole regiment had to march out and stand for two hours during the exercises. But I'll never forget that day for a long time. The bank played, newsreels were taking pictures, and a lot of newspaper reporters around. We had the huge Patrol planes in the background along the edge of Gulf. Then the cadets were in the center and all visitors sat around us in a circle. After the ceremonies were over we had a huge air-parade. Every type of plane we had flew over low in formation; it was really quite a sight. that night at the big formal dance they presented, each girl as she entered, a small pair of gold wings. The girls were really nuts about them. Corsages cost just twice what they do at home. I took the girl that I met a couple of weeks ago, Lorraine Harris. They brought 150 girls from Texas University, but I didn't want to take a chance on a blind date. It would have been just my luck to get a short, fat girl that couldn't dance; most of the girls were really nice looking though.
Say I sent two pictures, you take the one you like best and give the other one to Bernard & family. I didn't have any idea which you would like best.
The "world news" also took some pictures of us fellows out at our squadron as we were starting our planes and taking off. They put their camera on a truck and drove up and down taking pictures as we went to the board to find out the number of our plane and went out to our respective planes.
Well don't forget to keep your fingers crossed for me this week, I'll need it on my check. I sure would hate to get "washed out" of here.
Today was another beautiful day, the sky was real blue and just the right temperature to run around in our shirt sleeves. It seems good to have it a little cool, at last.

Your son,

Undated Newsclipping from Teresa Doyle's Scrapbook
Cecil Doyle, son of Mr. and Mrs. Owen Doyle of Marshall, received his wings last week, and has been commissioned a second Lieutenant in the Air Corps of the United States Marines. He received his final training at Corpus Christi, Texas. He is at present visiting his parents here, and after his leave expires will be stationed at an air base on the west coast. --- U. S. Armp photo.

1942, October 30 (Postcard form filled in by Cecil Doyle)
Dear Folks,
I have been transferred overseas and have safely reached my destination.
Please address all mail for me exactly as follows:
2nd Lt. C. J. Doyle, U.S.M.C.
U. S. Marine Corps Unit No. 750
c/o The Postmaster, San Francisco, Cal.

Cec Doyle (Signature)
(This card was prepared prior to departure, held and mailed in the United States upon receipt of information of writer's arrival).

1942, October 21 V-Mail from Cec to Mr. Owen Doyle - 503 Lynd Street
Passed by Naval Censor
Dear Folks,
I guess I will give this type of stationery a try out. Let me know how long it takes to reach you. Yesterday I received three letters for a change. Two were from you folks that were written on the 31st of August. The other one was from Vi.
I forgot to tell you that I saw Ed Marcotte about three weeks ago. He is located down at New Caledonia. Call his folks and let them know where he is. We sure had a good visit. I'll bet we talked over Marshall for about four hours straight.
Mom I'll bet you can't guess what kind of grove we are camping in. Our camp is right in the center of a huge coca-nut grove. Remember how you use to have to hide the cocanut so I wouldn't eat it all. Well now I can just step out of my tent and pick up all I want. But, of course, I have the trouble of trying to skin them.
Last night I heard a radio broadcast from San Francisco. We went over to a tank company which have short wave radios in their tanks and they can pick up this one station. It sure seemed funny to have about a dozen guys piled around wanting to get at the earphones to listen to the war news about Guadalcanal & listen to the war around the Guadalcanal and Solomon Area.
I am still okay and getting healthier every day. I think before long I will have to shave off my beard or no one will recognize me. Say tell everyone hello for me. I don't get to write to anyone but you and the kids. How is Grandma and the rest of the family getting along?
Your son,

1942, Nov. 1 V-mail from Cec Doyle to Mr. Owen Doyle - 502 Lynd Street
Passed by Naval Censor
Dear Folks,
I am going to try out this type of stationery because I think it will reach a lot sonner. Why don't you folks try using v-mail. I got a letter from a girl that was mailed on Oct. 7th which is a lot faster than air mail.
The last three days we haven't been having any combat in the air. It seems funny to not have a big dogfight everyday. The day before yesterday our flight had off so we went up to the front lines and looked the situation over. Boy they really give the Japs a run for their money.
Every Sunday the Japs send a lot of their bombers and zeros over. We always have a warm reception for them. Yesterday the natives brought in definite word that they had found K. D. Brandon's body. They shot him down about a week ago, but I though He would get back okay. He was a close friend of mine and those goonies (Japs) are going to pay for that if it is the last thing I do. I have official credit for five zeros shot down and I am going to double that score for K.C.
How is everyone getting along? How is Dick making at school this year? Is he working part time? Does he get home very often or doesn't he get a chance to make it to Marshall. How is Bernard doing at Milroy? Is he going to be drafted before long?
We still have hopes of being relieved by the end of this month. I sure would like to make it home for Christmas. The squadron we relieved got to fly back and made it to the states in a couple of days.
Well don't worry about me; I am okay and the goonies can't hit the broad side of a barn. I hope to see you before too long.
Your son,

Undated Newspaper Clipping from Teresa Doyle's Scrapbook
Lieutenant Cecil J. Doyle, son of Mr. and Mrs. Owen Doyle, has been awarded an official credit for downing several Japanese bombers and zeros in combat. This credit makes him an ace flyer.
Cecil in a letter to his parents states he shot down five planes which is no easy task. "Nearly every day we are bothered by Jap zeros and bombers. The last few days I have been fortunate enough not to have any bullets fly past me."
He says he spent some nights in fox holes while they were being shelled. He also strafed some transports that were trying to bring in some Jap troops. The Japs were packed even on the top of the deck. "I really settled a score with them for shelling us the night before. Several of my pals have been wounded or killed only a few feet from me. Once in a while our flight has a day off and then we wash our clothes in a nearby river and go swimming. The mosquitos here are terrible, due to the damp climate. Sometimes we wish we could remain in the water just to escape them.
"I am the only one left of a large squad and want to double my score for my pals. One, my dearest and dearest friend was found about a week ago."
Lieutenant Doyle received his training at Corpus Christi, Texas, entering the air corps in March 1941. He is hoping for a furlough about Christmas time.

Undated Newspaper Clipping from Teresa Doyle's Scrapbook
The above picture of Cecil Doyle was furnished the Lyon County Independent through the courtesy of the Sioux City Journal, who printed an account of Cecil being reported missing in action. Lieut. Doyle is the son of Mr. and Mrs. Owen Doyle of Marshall.
Lieut. Doyle was assigned to combat duty in the Marine Corps, and he was successful in downing at least five Jap's Zerox. He was planning on a furlough during the Christmas season, and had one more assignment of showing the relief group how to deal with the Japs. It was on this assignment that Cecil disappeared. His parents have been informed by government officials that he is reported missing in action since November 7th.
His many friends are hoping that Lieut. Doyle will be heard from soon.

19 December 1942 Western Union Telegram (Original in Teresa Doyle's Scrapbook)

1944, April 14 Letter THE SECRETARY OF THE NAVY

Mrs. Owen P. Doyle
c/o R. L. Wright
The Diamond Match Company
Fairfield, California

My dear Mrs. Doyle:

It gives me great pleasure to designate you as the sponsor to christen the Destroyer Escort Vessel U.S.S. CECIL J. DOYLE (DE-368), named in honor of your son, the late Second Lieutenant Cecil John Doyle, U. S. Marine Corps Reserve.

This vessel is scheduled to be launched at the plant of the Consolidated Steel Corporation, Ltd., Shipbuilding Division, Orange, Texas, 1 July 1944. The Supervisor of Shipbuilding, U. S. N., at that time will arrange with you all details connected with the launching. He will also advise you should there be any change in the launching date.

Prospective sponsors are advised that the Department has no funds out of which to defray the transportation expenses to and from the place of launching.

Because of war restrictions, it is requested that any information concerning the launching date be regarded as confidential.

Will you please advise the Department at your earliest convenience whether you will be able to christen this vessel when she is launched.

Sincerely yours,
Frank Knox

July 1 no year date Newspaper clipping

Orange, July 1. -- The USS Cecil J Doyle, a destroyer escort, went into waters of Sabine river with impressive launching ceremonies at the yard of the Consolidated Steel corporation Saturday afternoon with Mrs. Owen P. Doyle of Marshall, Minn., mother of the late Second Lt. Cecil John Doyle, USMCR, in whose honor the vessel was named, as sponsor.
Accompanying the sponsor was her husband, Owen P. Doyle. The sponsor and husband were presented by Captain Harry B. Hird, vice president of Consolidated and yard manager who was master of ceremonies. Music was furnished by the Consolidated employees bank under direction of Ernest Volpe.
Second Lieutenant Doyle was born in Marshall, Minn., August 10, 1920, and as a result of enemy action in the South Pacific area on November 8, 1943, was officially declared dead. He was reported missing in action November 7, 1942, when the plane on which he was pilot failed to return from a mission. He enlisted in the US marine corps reserve, March 27, 1941, and on August 21, 1941, was appointed aviation cadet. He accepted appointment as second lieutenant in the USMCR, April 6, 1942.
Lieutenant Doyle was stationed at the marine barracks from that date until September 30, 1942. He then served in the field until the time of his death.
He was awarded the following medals; The Asiatic-Pacific campaign medal, the purple heart and the navy cross with the following citation:
"For extraordinary heroism as a pilot attached to a marine fighting squadron in combat with enemy Japanese forces in the Solomon islands area from October 18, 5o 25, 1942. Pressing home his attacks against the enemy with skill and determination, Second Lieutenant Doyle shot down five Japanese aircraft during this period, thereby contributing materially to the security of our forces in that area. His cool courage and indomitable fighting spirit were an inspiration to all the members of his squadron and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States naval service.



"Born 10 August 1920 in Marshall, Minn., Cecil John Doyle enlisted in the Marine Corps Reserve, 26 March 1941 and following aviation training at Corpus Christi, Tex., was appointed a Second Lieutenant 6 April 1942. Lieutenant Doyle was declared missing in action 7 November 1942. For his extraordinary heroism while attached to a Marine fighting squadron in combat with enemy forces in the Solomons from 18 to 25 October, he was posthumously awarded the Navy Cross.

(DE-368: dp 1,350; 1.306'; b36'7"; dr. 13'4"; s. 24K.; cpl 186; a.25", 3 21"tt., 8 dep., 1 dep.(hh), 2 dct.; cl. John C. Butler)

Cecil J. Doyle (DE-368) was launched 1 July 1944 by Consolidated Steel Corp., Orange, Tex.; sponsored by Mr. O. P. Doyle; and commissioned 16 October 1944, Lieutenant Commander D. S. Crocker, USNR, in command.

Cecil J. Doyle carried out her first mission while still in shakedown, when she cruised on an air-sea rescue station during the flight of Government officials to the Yalta Conference. On 30 January 1943, she rendezvoused with HMS Ranee, and guarded the escort carrier through the Panama Canal and north to San Diego. Cecil J. Doyle continued on to Pearl Harbor and Eniwetok, where she arrived 28 March to join the Marshalls-Gilbert Patrol and Escort Group. Her escort duties took her to Guam, and Ulithi, where on 30 April she was transferred to the Carolines Surface Patrol and Escort Group. On 2 May, Cecil J Doyle's commanding officer became Commander, Screen, Peleliu, protecting the great anchorage in Kossol Roads.

While on patrol, Cecil J. Doyle several times rescued downed aviators, and on 27 May 1945, bombarded a by-passed Japanese garrison on Koror Island, On 2 August, she was ordered to the rescue of a large group of men in rafts reported at 11'300'N., 133'30'E., and bent on top speed to be the first to reach the survivors of torpedoed Indianapolis (CA-35). It was Cecil J. Doyle's melancholy duty to radio the first report of the cruiser's loss. She rescued 93 survivors, and gave final rites to 21 found already dead. Remaining in the area searching until 8 August, Cecil J. Doyle was the last to leave the scene.

From 26 August 1945, when she sailed into Buckner Bay, Okinawa, the destroyer was assigned to occupation duty. She sailed with hospital ships to Wakayama, Japan, to evacuate released prisoners of war, then screened carriers providing air cover for landing of occupation troops. Through 12 November, she cruised on courier duty between Japanese ports, and after dry-docking at Yokosuka, sailed for San Francisco, arriving 13 January 1946. She was decommissioned and placed in reserve at San Diego 2 July 1946."

UNDATED NEWS ARTICLE in Teresa Doyle's scrapbook

Boys Cheat Death When They're Lucky
(This is the eight installment of one of the war's most inspiring stories--the personal account, given here for the first time, of Capt. Joseph J. Foss, the South Dakota ex-farm boy who destroyed 27 Japanese planes to lead all other American fighter pilots of the war. Yesterday Capt. Foss told of a wild day in which he shot down five zeros.)
By Capt. Joseph J. Foss. 
As told to Walter Simmons. (Copyright: 1943: By the Chicago Tribune.)
We lived in mud and blood at Guadalcanal and over us was the constant shadow of death. One of the few fine things was the deep friendship of two Minnesotan's in my flight for each other. They were Lt. Cecil (Danny) Doyle of Marshall and Lt. Koller C. (Casey) Brandon of Deer River.
Danny was a little fellow, full of energy, always able to cut the other fellow down to his size with devastating wisecracks. He was 22 years old and had been crazy about flying ever since taking a CAA course at Mankato Teachers' College in his home state. He had earned some of the money for his education by acting as lifeguard as a swimming pool in the summer months.
Casey was on the quieter side. Where Danny was rabid about hockey and skating, Casey was a baseball nut. He read everything about the game he could get his hands on. His folks were not farmers, but lived in town at Deer River. He was educated at the University of Minnesota. His initials gave him the nickname "Casey."
Always Flew Together
I believe the boys both went thru flying school together at Corpus Christi, Tex., but they didn't meet till both were assigned to the same tent at the marine base at San Diego, Cal., in April a year ago. Probably the fact that both were Minnesotans drew them close.
At Guadalcanal, they always flew together. "Ihave to go along and look after Casey,: Danny always said. Natives, as I've related before, found his body up in the hills behind the Jap lines and they buried him.
Danny didn't do any wisecracking after that. He brooded and became grim. "The next time I go out and get some planes I'm going to get three for Casey," he promised.
Danny Is Missing
One day came the bad news. Danny was missing. One of the boys told of seeing a Grumman Wildcat chasing a Zero right into the sea. That was three weeks after Casey was lost.
Danny, who had sworn to avenge his friend's death, must have been over-trying that day. We missed those two boys. Thinking later of their short and tragic history, we fought the Japs all the more savagely.
Death, as I have said, was always just around the corner, waiting to capitalize on a moment's carelessness or bad luck...

Undated Newspaper article from Teresa Doyle Scrapbook
By Bob Eddy
Ellsworth, Wis. - This little city of 1,300 will turn out Monday night to pay tribute to one of its sons, Lt. Roger Haberman, who downed seven Jap planes in his flights with Capt. Joe Foss' "aerial circus" over Guadalcanal.
The joys of homecoming are not unmixed, however, for the tall fighter pilot--he returned home, too, to carry to the parents of two of his fellow fliers from Minnesota all the information he knows on how their sons fell in action.
The Minnesotans are Lts. Koller (Kc) Brandon of Deer River and Cecil (Danny) Doyle of Marshall -- "two" of the best damned fliers that ever drew a breath in the uniform of the Marine Corps", according to Haberman.
He will visit their parents, Mr. and Mrs. Owen Doyle and Mr. and Mrs. H. T. Brandon, within the next two weeks. The Minnesota "circus" mates, both 23, are missing in action.
...Humor always was present in the Marines' rought-and-ready life, Haberman recalled.
"The night of Oct. 13 I particularly remember," he said. "Jap ships were shelling us heavily. Kc, Danny, Tom Furlow and I were down in a foxhole.
"After about two and one-half hours of shelling, a big oil dump was blazing nearby, throwing flames 200 feet into the air, an ammunition dump was exploding, burning planes were flaring on the field and shells were light up the sky. A Jap observation plane hovered overhead.
"Say," Danny said, "Do you suppose it would reveal our position if I lit a cigaret?"
Haberman also chuckles when he describes a trip to the swimming hole after work one afternoon. The fliers were in a truck heading for the beach when a Jap big gun tossed a shell directly in front of the vehicle. Wheeling around, the boys made for the airport.
"Just as we got to what we thought was safety," Haberman grins, "Jap dive bombers swept over the field and dropped a bomb right in front of the truck. Luckily, no one was hurt."
...KcBrandon, a University of Minnesota cum laude graduate, was knocked out of the sky on Oct. 14, Haberman said. Natives brought in Kc's identification nameplate about ten days later, saying they had found it in the wreckage of his plane behind the Jap line.
"Danny, Kc's wing man (flying partner) and pal, put the nameplate in his flight jacket and said, "By God, I'[m going to get five Japs for Kc," Haberman said. "Danny couldn't go up with Kc that day, because his plane wasn't working.
"Danny got his five Japs, too, before he failed to return from a strafing mission Nov. 7."
Danny, a dark, slim, wiry youth who was a student in Mankato State Teachers college before becoming a flier, and Kc, a rugged, keen-eyed fellow who could bring down a deer as far away as he could see the animal in his native north woods, were termed the "Foolish Twins", Haberman said, for their daring flying together....

1953, Monday, June 29 --- San Jose Mercury
Honolulu (AP) -- An alert young Navy rifleman saved movie star Van Johnson from possible injury by a shark Sunday.
Gunners Mate 3-C H. W. Fisher was aboard a camera tug about 12 miles south of Pearl Harbor during the filming of a sequence in the movie "The Caine Mutiny," in which Johnson dives into the ocean to retrieve a line.
Fully clothed, as required by the script, Johnson dived from the destroyer-minesweeper USS Doyle. He was pulling in the line when a shark's fin cut the water 10 yards away.
Fisher stopped the shark in its tracks with a burst from his M-1 rifle. It disappeared, leaving a trail of blood.
Johnson was hauled in and the scene was reshot an hour later.

Military service: 1943, United States Navy Pilot
Namesake: USS Cecil J Doyle, Navy Destroyer

Back To Roll of Honour

Back to Doyle Home Page


Meaning of the

The Doyles of
 Ancient Ireland

About the Clan

The Official Clan

The Clan Badge

The Clan Gathering

 Clan Gathering
Highlights 99

Where are they 


Saint Patrick

Traditional Celtic Dress

Irish Tartans

Doyle Tartan

Our Patron

Irish Chiefs

The Gift Shop

Doyle Heraldry

Doyle Coats of Arms

Personal Coat of Arms

The Order of St Patrick

Doyle History 
Antiquity to the 1100's 

Doyle History 
1100's  to the 1640's
Doyle History 
1640's to the 1690's
Doyle History 
1690's to the 1790's
Doyle History 
1790's  to the 1850's
Doyle History 
1850's  to the 1880's
Doyle History 
 1880's to the1900's 
Doyle History 
 the 1900's to 1916 
Doyle History 
1916  to the 1940's 
Doyle History 
1940's  to today 

Roll of Honour
American Civil War

Roll of Honour
1914 - 1918

Roll of Honour
1916 -1922

Roll of Honour
1939 -1945
Roll of Honour
Korea - Vietnam

Doyle Links

Irish Clan Links

Irish Links

Genealogy Links

Celtic Links

The Battle of 

The Normans Invade Ireland Cromwell Devastates Ireland The Jacobite War in
The Battle of the Boyne

"Wild Geese"
Irish Soldiers in Exile

The Irish Viking 

Irish & Celtic

Doyle Web Rings

Joining The Clan

St Patrick's Cross Flag Irish Dog Breeds The Great Irish Warpipe Feedback Irish Soldiers
The British Army

 Last updated 17 July, 2001